Dear Friend of Kindred Spirits Care Farm,
You should be proud. With your support Kindred Spirits Care Farm has been able to do some great things in 2015. We have been working with the at-risk high school kids at John R. Wooden high school all year to help them learn that farm animals are friends, that plant based foods are delicious, and nutrition can be fun and compassionate. Now that the farm is looking good and thriving in every way, we are reaching out to the community even more to educate as many people as possible. Together, we are starting a care farm movement in the U.S. and your support makes it all possible.
Some of our accomplishments this year include the following:
· Became a community partner with UCLA to create a high school level, standards-based science curriculum focused on farm activities. This curriculum will be the first of its kind.
· Helped over 1,200 people recognize that farm animals are friends.
· Transformed 5,000 square feet of dead grass into a sustainable, organic garden where at-risk kids learn to grow fruits and vegetables, and discover that nutritious eating can be delicious, surprisingly easy and inexpensive.
· Rescued more farm animal ambassadors to help teach the kids and visitors about the lives of farmed animals. This year we rescued Gordy the pig, 2 ex-battery hens (Juno and Athena), and 10 other feathery friends.
· Improved the farm experience for both the animals and kids by rebuilding the Pig Pen area and creating the Poultry Palace.
· Continued reaching out to the community through exhibiting at World Vegan Summit, Ventura Earth Day, National Animal Rights Day and Follow Your Heart art show. We also were guest speakers at several organizations including Dole Foods, and Valley Glen School Association.
· Inspired at-risk kids with guest speakers including Factory Farm Awareness Coalition, Seed Library of Los Angeles, and a White House chef.
· Were featured in the press including Ventura Boulevard Magazine, KCBS and KCAL and Go Vegan Radio. We were also the featured farm for the photo shoot for Bungalow 360.
· Held our first annual Food Day LA celebration where 500 people savored the delights of plant based foods and had a chance to learn how to start their own organic gardens.
Next year promises to be even better. We will be expanding the organic garden, working with additional schools, hosting more field trips, and introducing more people to the joys of nutritious, plant based eating. We expect there will also be some surprises even we don’t know about yet. Stay tuned, it’s going to be a great ride and we are more than grateful for your support along the way as we continue to promote compassion, cooperation and connection with the earth, animals and each other.
And, as always, thank you! Thank you for having the vision and the generosity to be part of this important work.
To make a tax deductible contribution, please visit our website at kindredspiritscarefarm.org or by mailing your donation to Kindred Spirits Care Farm, 8335 Winnetka Ave #136, Winnetka, CA 91306.
Mark your calendars! On October 24th, from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm Kindred Spirits Care Farm is hosting Food Day LA! This free event will be a great family day full of fun, food, music and inspiration. Please join us for farm tours, lots of delicious food, music, our special kid zone, seedling planting, innovative gardening ideas and so much more! You will love it! Grab your friends and family on October 24th, and come visit us here at Kindred Spirits Care Farm. Will you help us share this with all your Southern California friends? https://www.facebook.com/events/880537062039505/